Sunday, September 9, 2012

Non-verbal Cues and Positive Reinforcement


I am officially half way through block classes!  In classroom management we've been discussing non-verbal cues and reinforcements.  For an assignment, we had to create a poster that represented ten examples of each.  Above is my poster.

I love the idea of sign language in the classroom for several reasons.  My aunt and uncle are deaf so I already know some sign language.  It's a great way to communicate without disrupting everyone.  It's also a TON of fun for elementary school students.  I remember when I was a kid and my friends and I used to do little secret signs for everything!

The other non-verbal cues were just ones I found online or thought of from my school experiences.  

I decided to go with positive reinforcements because I think that it's important to show students that they are loved and cared about.  I'm not naive enough to think that students will never need to be admonished but having a list of ways to show students some encouragement is something I think many teachers need!

This semester I've decided since I don't have time to do "pinteresty" or crafty things that I will make my homework as cute and fun as possible. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment